Cleveland Clinic London’s general medicine consultants provide diagnosis and non-surgical management and treatment options for patients over 18 with both acute and chronic conditions.
We help with a range of health issues, including care for all adults with multiple or complex medical conditions. And adults ages 65 and older find personalised, comprehensive services for their unique health challenges. We also offer surgical and orthopaedic liaison services, providing a streamlined care experience.
Depending on your needs, we can refer you to Cleveland Clinic London specialists to further diagnose and treat your conditions. We also work closely with our on-site acute admissions unit (AAU) if you need immediate medical attention for a serious, non-life-threatening condition.
General Medicine: Why Choose Cleveland Clinic London?
You receive a thorough evaluation from skilled experts at Cleveland Clinic London. Together, we determine the best course of action for you. Highlights of our general medicine clinic include:
- Expert team: Our experienced general medicine consultants are ready to handle any medical condition. Their extensive multidisciplinary training ensures you receive the most up-to-date care.
- Collaborative care: We bring together all the experts you need. If you need further diagnosis and treatment, our consultants can seamlessly refer you to on-site specialists with expertise in more than 15 specialties, such as cardiology, endocrinology or respiratory.
- Streamlined facility: At Cleveland Clinic London, every level of care is under one roof. Our consultants can quickly transition you to the AAU, available 24/7, if you need prompt medical treatment.
- Advanced testing: We offer on-site, state-of-the-art MRI and CT scanners, imaging services and laboratory tests, including immediate testing for rapid results when indicated.
General Medicine Services at Cleveland Clinic London
Our general medicine clinic offers a broad range of services for adults ages 18 and older. Our consultants start with a general medical review. We ask you about your medical history and do a full physical examination.
Our general medicine team specialises in:
- Complex medicine.
- Elderly medicine (geriatrics).
- Surgical liaison and preoperative medical optimisation services.
- Orthopaedic liaison services.
Cleveland Clinic London’s general medicine team diagnoses and treats patients with multiple medical problems (comorbidities) and complex conditions, including:
- Cardiac conditions, including arrhythmias, coronary artery disease and high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Complex wounds, including bone infections (osteomyelitis), leg and foot ulcers and surgical wounds.
- Diabetes-related complications.
- Gastrointestinal complications, including Crohn’s disease, haemorrhoids and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Haematological complications, including anaemia, neutropenia and thrombocytopenia.
- Immunosuppressive conditions, including HIV and AIDS, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Infectious diseases, such as hepatitis B.
- Neurological disorders, including multiple sclerosis (MS), Parkinson’s disease and stroke.
- Post-surgical complications.
- Renal (kidney) disease.
- Respiratory conditions, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and pulmonary fibrosis.
We also offer general health reviews, where you can regularly check in with a specialist. They review your health issues and make recommendations for how to best manage your health going forward.
In addition to our ability to look after all the conditions listed above, we have additional expertise and specialisation in caring for older adults who may have multiple medical conditions and take many different medications at the same time (polypharmacy). We help you manage multiple medications and ensure your prescriptions don’t interact negatively.
We also offer comprehensive frailty screening to identify and prevent potential problems and provide you with the best course of treatment. We then work closely with other Cleveland Clinic London specialists to get you the care you need.
Common conditions we assess and treat include:
- Dementia and delirium.
- Difficulty walking (gait disorders).
- Frailty-related illnesses and bone health.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Urinary incontinence.
Surgical liaison and preoperative medical optimisation
If you have multiple health conditions and need to have surgery, we provide a consultant-led liaison service. Your surgical liaison supports you before and after your surgery. This service can result in reduced complications and a shorter recovery time.
We also provide help with medicines and care before you have surgery (preoperative medical optimisation). We assist with medication management, reviewing all the medications you take and simplifying them (when possible) without affecting your treatment.
If you’re age 50 or older or have an orthopaedic condition such as a hip fracture or other bone fracture, we offer a consultant-led liaison service. We will:
- Perform a bone density test (DXA scan) to measure your bone strength and assess your risk of osteoporosis.
- Conduct a falls risk assessment to find out your risk of falling.
- Create a personalised plan for you to maintain your bone health and prevent future fractures.
- Recommend rehabilitation services, if needed, to help you gain strength.
- Help transition you from one level of care to the next (complex discharge planning).
If you’re a patient and need general medicine services, visit our Contact Centre or call your GP. If you have a life-threatening condition, such as a heart attack or stroke, go to the nearest accident and emergency department or call 999.