When cells in your body divide abnormally and uncontrollably, they can form a mass or lump of tissue, called a tumour. Many conditions can be mistaken for tumours. Everyone has occasional lumps and bumps, and it is important to be able to tell the difference between those masses that might be cancerous (malignant) and those that occur because of injury, congenital growths (tumours that are present at birth) or the normal ageing process. While non-cancerous (benign) bone tumours don’t typically spread and are unlikely to be fatal, they still may require treatment.
Being able to recognise non-life threatening tumours from those that need further investigation takes a team with experience in the diagnostic process and in understanding and interpreting appropriate tests. If you are worried about a lump or bump, or if you have received a bone tumour diagnosis and require surgery, the experts at Cleveland Clinic London can help.
Why Choose Cleveland Clinic London?
Our specialists are experts in identifying and treating bone and soft tissue tumours so you can be confident you are getting the correct diagnosis and a care plan that is right for you. At Cleveland Clinic London, you can expect:
- A multidisciplinary approach: Our bone tumor team is made up of world-leading tumour experts who work with other specialists, including pathologists, radiologists, surgeons and oncologists to provide you with complete care and total support at every stage of your treatment journey.
- Comprehensive oncology services: We work with The London Clinic, a pioneer in cancer treatment, to provide full medical, radiation and other oncology services when you have your surgery at Cleveland Clinic London. Our team collaborates directly with your doctors at The London Clinic to monitor progress, provide a seamless approach to treatment and ensure the best possible outcome.
- Rapid results: We know that discovering what you suspect might be a tumor can be unsettling. Having it checked and getting the results quickly will give you peace of mind.
- Customised care: We will carry out a comprehensive review of your condition, provide expert diagnosis, and put in place a treatment and rehabilitation plan tailored specifically for you.
- Backed by one of the largest programs in the U.S.: Our team in London is supported by our U.S. sarcoma and musculoskeletal oncology program, one of the largest in the States. You’ll have access to the expertise of Cleveland Clinic’s broad global health system that includes pathologists who review nearly 2,000 bone cancer cases annually and specialists that treat hundreds of people with benign and malignant tumours each year.
Bone and Soft Tissue Tumour Diagnosis at Cleveland Clinic London
We use the latest technologies to diagnose you quickly and accurately. We offer the following diagnostic testing:
- CT scans.
Bone and Soft Tissue Tumour Treatment at Cleveland Clinic London
Bone and soft tissue tumours that we treat include:
- Bone cancer: includes both cancers that form in the bone itself (primary bone cancers) and metastatic bone tumours that begin in other parts of your body and spread to your bones (secondary bone cancers).
- Benign bone tumours: non-cancerous tumours that originate in your bones and are very unlikely to spread to other parts of your body.
- Benign soft tissue tumours: non-cancerous tumours of the soft tissue that can occur at almost any site, both within and between muscles, ligaments, nerves and blood vessels.
Treatments and Care:
- Surgery: Removes the tumour and some of the healthy tissue around it with an operation.
- Radiation and chemotherapy: Radiation shrinks tumours by using high doses of X-rays. You may need radiation before surgery to shrink the tumor so less tissue has to be removed. Chemotherapy kills cancer cells throughout your body with medicine. If you require radiation and chemotherapy, we have partnered with one of the leading cancer treatment centres, The London Clinic, to provide these services. Your doctors from Cleveland Clinic London and The London Clinic will work as one team to make sure you receive the complete care, that’s right for you. If you prefer to seek radiation or chemotherapy from another location, that is also an option, and our team can coordinate with your doctors to ensure seamless care.
Orthopaedic Self-Pay Services
Whether you need to know the cost of a private MRI scan, surgical procedure or other service, we can help. Cleveland Clinic London has a broad range of tests and treatments available for self-pay, so you’re prepared for whatever turn your health takes. Find out more.
Contact us or call +44 20 3423 7500 for more information about our bone and soft tissue tumour services.